Monday, March 23, 2009

A conference trip to Israel

I spent last week in Tel-Aviv attending an imaging spectroscopy workshop organized by the European Association of Remote Sensing Laboratories, Tel-Aviv University and the Israel Space Agency.

At first I wasn't too eager to travel to Israel, but in the end the trip was a success. The conference was perhaps a bit too sensor-oriented for me - imaging spectroscopy applications, especially concerning vegetation, received less attention than I had hoped for. On the other hand, I did learn about new hyperspectral missions, enjoyed excellent Israeli food, followed discussions on whether we should call it "imaging spectroscopy" or "hyperspectral remote sensing", and also got a few new references to articles I need to look up. The workshop also included spectral measurements in Maktesh Ramon in southern Israel and an excursion to (and bathing in) the Dead Sea.

The next conferences for me this year will probably be the annual Finnish-Estonian vegetation remote sensing workshop in Tartu (in May?) and the MultiTemp meeting in Connecticut in July. Lots of work to be done before them..














The Maktesh Ramon imaging spectroscopy calibration site.

No comments: